Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How Do I Look?

I was on a discussion board and came across a post about a members concern for running outside because she was afraid to look like a, "loser" if she had to stop and walk. My fist reaction was that the post was a joke, but after reading the discussion further I realized that for many women the fear of not looking good while running is keeping them from, what I think is best part of running, taking in the outside environment.

I have not always been a runner. When I started I could not even run a mile to the end of my neighborhood and had to stop and walk many times. I never had a concern about what others thought of me while running. I have always had the attitude that whether I am walking or running at least I am doing something. It is always better to do a little rather than nothing.

I tried to think back when I passed by a runner or walker in a car how I reacted. I do not think I ever took the time to notice them enough to critique them. I surely would never have made notice of whether they were supposed to be walking or running.

My advice to women runners is get off the treadmill and enjoy the outside. I think you should run for you and not worry about what other people think (most likely they are not thinking anything about you). Whether you run, walk, or jog it is more impressive for people to see you out there working every day! You will be surprised what types of encouragement you will get from friends and neighbors that see you on the street. You might even encourage someone to get off the couch and try to run with you!

No comments: