Thursday, February 5, 2009

Melbourne Beaches and Music Marathon

Good Sense prevailed and I registered to run the Half, not the marathon for this weekend. I just completed my registration and paid the fee of $85.00 which I think is very large for a half marathon. Granted, I am a late comer and if I would have registered early I could have paid $65.00 which frankly I still think is expensive for a race that is not a big city type event. After Sunday, I will let you know if it was worth it as compared to other races.

The cost of these races has me wondering what it is going to do to the sport in the next year or so considering the economic crisis. Lets face it, you can run and be healthy without running in a sanctioned race. Is paying the race fees a frivolous expense that people will think twice about doing it when times are tight. The number of people running races has shown a growth of about 10% a year for the last 5 years, I am curious to see what happens next year. Maybe some of these race directors should look at the budgets and try to offer a economy conscious race fee.

No comments: