Monday, January 26, 2009

My Latest Marathon Experience

Friday, January 23rd

It is amazing to me to think that less than a month ago I was trying to run in the frigid temperatures of New York wondering if I should even attempt to run the Disney Marathon as my training had been so spotty due to the weather conditions. Most of my training for the past several years had been in Florida where the climate has definitely been more agreeable. I really do give those northerners credit who continue to train outside during the harshest of weather conditions. You guys are tough!!! Well a lot has transpired during this past month, and I am now fortunate enough to be back in sunny Florida, where I did run and finish successfully the Disney Marathon. I have to say that I love the Disney Marathon. Each year I say that I am not going to do it, do a different race instead, but each year I can not help signing up for it again. It is such a happy race, full of energy and very relaxed. Where else will you find runner after runner stop running and wait in line to get their picture taken with Goofy or Mickey in the middle of the race. Also Disney can pull off a great race. I give them top marks on the organization, the frequency and quality of water stops, and the entertainment and crowds. In all it is a favorite.

This year unfortunately for me was more difficult. And even the Disney magic could not make the hurt go away!!! I have no one but myself to blame as I literally stopped training for this race 10 weeks prior (quite a taper with my longest run being 18 miles). I had my doubts about my performance, but figured the race was paid for , I might as well give it a try and have some fun. I did have great fun, there is nothing that compares to running through all of the theme parks, but my performance definitely lacked, and I hurt like never before for a few days after the finish. I learned something at that race, you can run a marathon with a little training (if you have some baseline endurance built up) a lot of determination, and a high tolerance for pain!!! I would definitely not recommend it, but I actually would not trade the experience for anything. I learned a lot about myself and my physical abilities. Also I signed up for next year, so it could not have been that bad!!!

No comments: