Wednesday, April 15, 2009

More VIP Treatment!!

I seem to be obsessing over this VIP thing!! I have been looking around at several other marathon venues for the fall and have noticed that a good many of them offer, "VIP" options.

Unlike the Brooks MCM deal, the other VIP options are all offered at an extra cost that ranges from $50-$110. The added features range from special parking, priority port-a-potty access, admission to a VIP tent (which offers breakfast, and after race entertainent), and priority race line up (where you do not have to go down to the start line early) you are walked to the start just prior to the start of the race.

I have never purchased any VIP package for any race, and I am wondering if I had, how would my race experience be different? I joke about the Port-a-Potty's, but it is that kind of experience that band us runners together (we all have our horror stories). I think that for myself the race morning excitment/challenge of getting to the race, parking, waiting in the lines for the potty's, finally getting to the start line and mingling with the other runners is as much part of my race experience as running the race. I think that by bypassing that, you lose much of the experiences that we distance runners share and dare I say enjoy.

I have no doubt that the VIP packages offer a great experience, I am just wondering if it offers the full, "Marathon Experience".

Have any of you participated in a VIP package? If so, how was your experience?

1 comment:

ShutUpandRun said...

Didn't even know that there were these VIPs options, so you've taught me something. I agree with you, there is something about being with the masses - kind of like flying first class vs. being in coach (although I would take first class anyday if I could afford it). Anyway...not sure if it would be worth the money, but it would be fun to do at least once. My least favorite part about a race is being cold at the start. I would pay big bucks if I had somewhere to keep warm...