Friday, April 3, 2009

Running is Good for the Brain

I have written before about how I feel that running a marathon is just as much a mental battle as a physical one. For every runner, there comes a point where you are fighting both your body and mind to stop. This is where it becomes critical to have learned some good self distraction, or serious concentration techniques.

As a distance runner, you have to learn to become either so focused in the event that you do not feel your tired legs, knees, feet etc., or you have to find a way to distract yourself so you just do not notice. I have used both techniques, although I mostly rely on distraction. I am a big, "chatter", much to my husband's dismay, and I am very motivated by large crowds of cheering people (even if not cheering for me).

My last marathon was kind of a lonely one. There was a small field of runners, and very few areas where there was a crowd. I found myself a lone runner on the street on several occasions and having no one to chat with, I had no choice to try what I would call my best effort at , "extreme focus".

I had been separated from the pace group I was trying to run with and was trying to catch back up with them. It was very cold and pouring rain and I have to say that the urge to stop and walk was getting pretty constant and strong. I always end up making deals with myself and I decided then that I was not going to stop until I had the pace group in sight. I spent my time focused on searching for the group and trying to figure out how much farther than me they were rather than feeling my legs and knees.

In about three miles I got the group in sight and, suprisingly, wanted to catch up with them so badly that I did not even stop to walk. After I caught up with them, around mile 20 , I just settled in and focused completely on finishing the race. No more energy spent on, "chatting", high-fiving the few spectators that were there, or waving to anyone. Just focused on finishing (every mile I did keep telling myself that if I kept up my pace I would be finished in xxx minutes).

The time to finish got less, I moved faster, and the finish line came into site. I think I worked my brain as much as I my legs that day. Fortunately your brain does not get sore!

2 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

You are so right. Running a marathon is completely mental and emotional challenge!! Especially when rain is involved. I always try to think about what I will eat and drink at the end.

Marathon Mama said...

That is funny you mentioned food. That was a mile 24 topic of conversation that our pacer brought up. There were lots of interesting food choices. Me, I was so cold, I just wanted coffee!! But it usually is beer and chicken wings (very healthy).