Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What is wrong with people today?

This was supposed to be a different type of blog, but the events of the morning have changed my perspective slightly. Let me set the stage:

Most mornings I run to the gym and wait outside for my husband to meet me there then go inside and workout. This morning was pretty much the same, a little cold but uneventful. I must have run faster than usual (or he was just moving slower than usual) because I had to wait for a little while. As I was waiting, several people passed me to go into the gym and being polite, I would say good morning to them. Well, I must say that the people in my town who go to Planet Fitness did not learn the same manners that I did because only one person actually acknowledged me and said hello!! Several made an effort to look the other way, and some just made eye contact and kept walking past me.

What does that say about people as a whole when we can not even acknowledge another person standing 4 feet away from them? This matter is sad to me, people so caught up in their lives that they can not take 10 seconds out of their day to return a greeting (and I live in the, "friendly South").

Why do people act like that? Is it a carryover from our parents telling us not to talk to strangers? Do people just not care or somehow feel threatened?

As I was pondering the whys, I went into the locker room to change. That is when I think I got at least part of my answer. I looked up into the mirror and was shocked at my reflection!! I have to admit I did look a little like a crazy woman. It was windy, so my bangs were standing straight up in the air, and my eyeliner and mascara (yes, left over from last night) had run down my face from my eyes tearing. I looked like some kind of crazy raccoon in pink running clothes! (I guess my husband did not notice???)


Needless to say, after I got over the initial shock, I cleaned myself up, tamed my hair and went out to workout. OK, maybe I looked too crazy to say hello to and maybe that explains why people diverted their eyes while walking towards me. I do not know, but I will definitely take notice again (hopefully when I do not look so crazy).


On a training note, ran my first 8 minute mile today. It was on the treadmill and it was only for a mile, but it is a start.



marathon mama

1 comment:

ShutUpandRun said...

Hah! Sorry about the mishap with the hair and mascara, but people should have been friendly anyway...sometimes everyone just gets in their own little busy worlds.