Thursday, April 23, 2009

Running is My Therapy

It has been a little while since I posted last. Things have been crazy here. Spring break for children, planning a "tea party" for my daughter, new business start up for me, my 14th wedding anniversary, and our childcare solution is on vacation!!

Through all of this, I find that things start slipping (such as this blog, to my dismay). I have however tried very hard to keep up my daily running. To that end, I have been able to keep my short daily runs although, I have not run farther than a 5 miler for over two weeks. I am not very concerned as I have no events scheduled until fall, but I am feeling the need to get out there and run and run and run (can we say, "run Forrest run!")

For me, I feel that hectic times like this are when getting your runs in are most important. Physical fitness aside, running can seriously help your mental fitness. For me, running becomes somewhat of a, "therapy", a time where I have some quiet time to think and get my day (and life) organized (not to mention no phones, no computer, no schoolwork, no children crying etc.)

Hopefully, I will hit the pavement this weekend for a nice 15 mile run, and my life will get back to it's usual more comfortable routine soon.

Times like this always make me realize how valuable my running hobby is to both my physical and mental well being.

5 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

We have a lot in common. I am going to celebrate my 14th anniversary in June. I have two kids (11,8). And like you, I find that running has become my outlet. I am a better person because I run. It has done wonders for my stress, but also for my confidence. Just a year ago, I could barely run more than three miles and now I am planning my second marathon. Thanks for stopping by my blog with your comments. I am from D.C. and have thougt about the Marine Corps. When is that one?

Sarah said...

I find that if I don't get out for runs...I am a very crabby Mom. :) My husband and kids have discovered it too. :)

Hope you have a great run this weekend!

Marathon Mama said...

The Marine Corp Marathon is in late October, around the 28th. I have been thinking about it for a few years, I am a litte afraid of the hills though!! How bad are they in the DC area?

Chris said...

Running definitely adds a dimension to my life that has become very important to me. I'm training for my second marathon (in September) and am trying to meet and network with other runners.

I'm Chris, it's nice to meet you!

Marathon Mama said...

Chris,
It is nice to meet you. What marathon are you training for in Sept?