Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Finally, One of My Children Shows and Interest in Running!!

Both my husband and I are runners, so you would think that running is a big part of our family experience. Well, not really. Much to my dismay, our children really have not shared the same desire for the sport (or any sport) as we have. So, you can imagine my delight when my 9 year old son (the one whose idea of exercise is playing Wii) told me that he wanted to participate in a local track meet!! He came home last week and decided that he wanted to run in several events that he and the school PE teacher discussed. My first thoughts was to ask him what the catch was, (did it involve missing school or something), but I refrained and of course said yes.

He will be running the 50m, 100m and 200m this coming Friday competing with other elementary school children his age. Of course, I am very supportive of this new interest and hope that he enjoys it! I hope that it is not to cliche to say that whatever happens, first or last place, I just hope he has fun. Who knows, maybe he will see the benefit of activity that does not involve a screen or keyboard.

One can hope

3 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

That's great about your son. We are always trying to get our kids to run 5ks with us. We're all doing our first 10k together at the end of the month. I'm expecting a fair amount of whining, but at least they're getting out there.

Sarah said...

That is awesome! My daughter did a kids fun Run last year and we had such a good time. I have to get her signed up for one this year too. Hope you both have a great time!

Heather said...

I hope you son has fun running . . . one of the kids needs to have the running gene! I'm thinking about entering my 18 mo. old in a little tot race at one of the loca 5k's I'm doing this summer. Might as well start her early!