Saturday, May 9, 2009

Sun Screen

The summer is coming upon us very rapidly here in Florida, and with that I have noticed that my runs are becoming more and more sweaty. I have progressed in the last 6 weeks from long sleeves to short sleeves, now to tank tops. I am not complaining, running in the heat is my thing!! I am very comfortable with the heat, and can not help feel that the more I sweat, the more work I am doing.

Anyway, the point of this blog is to talk about sunscreen!! I have never used it on any run before (and have never gotten burned), but after a conversation with a dermatologist, I am thinking that I might start. My runs are early morning, 7:00-8:00 on short runs and 5:00 am-9:30 on my longest long run. So my question is, do I really need to sunscreen up every day? If so, what kind of screen should I use? My eyes are very sensitive and I am worried that when I sweat the sunscreen will run and burn my eyes.

I am going to probably give a try and see how it goes (it always seems better to be safe) I guess that will mean that I will have to get up a little earlier!!

I would appreciate any advice on the best type of screen, etc.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I wear face sunscreen for every run and do chest/shoulders/arms if it is peak hours. I use a combo moisturizer/SPF 15 from Avon that I love and I have no problem with it when running. Since it is meant for everyday use, it also doesn't have that sunscreen smell to it. I have skin cancer in my family, so I put it on my face every morning, even in the winter.

JenZen said...

Living in Louisiana - I hear ya on the heat and humidity and MASSIVE sweat that it brings. :) I sunscreen up my face every run and wear a Brooks running hat - which I LOVE. I also wear a dry sport 30 spf spray sunscreen during my long runs.

For the face I like Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Sun-Damage Daily Moisture Lotion spf 28. I wear this everyday regardless, but find it doesn't seem to run or sting my eyes when I sweat. I also like the Coppertone spf 30 sport stick for my face because it doesn't run, but can get a little greasy. I totally recommend buying a running hat. I got mine a few months ago and now I won't run without it. It keeps the sun off my face and the inner band helps keep the sweat off my eyes - and you just throw it in the wash and hang-dry. No special cleaning involved.

Great blog! Glad I stopped by!

~Jenn

Unknown said...

Hello,

This is Rose writing from www.huliq.com. I visited your blog and liked your content.

Would you be interested to send us a guest post on any of the issues related to the topics that you cover in your blog. We will publish it in our site www.huliq.com

In return with each guest blog we will give one link in the author's byline back to your blog. We only ask that the guest post ( we prefer it be a news coverage, sources can be Google News, CNN, MSNBC, Yahoo News, BBC and others) be a unique story and not be published in your blog.

HULIQ is indexed by Google News and Google requires that the length of the unique news is at least 5 paragraphs. We desire it to be at least 6 paragraphs if possible. And that all need to be a unique content. Once you send us a new story totally unique we will immediately publish it with you link in it, and within 15 minutes it should be indexed by Google News.

Also, please structure author byline as follows:

author's name:
author's e-mail:
author's blog url:

Please let me know if you may have any questions about www.huliq.com.

If you want to consult the topic with me first that's perfectly fine as well.

Many thanks
ruzik.mail@gmail.com

Marathon Mama said...

Thanks for the advice, I am going to follow all of it, it is never to late to start taking care of your skin. I like the running hat. Where can I get one?