Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Time to Look Ahead, Scattered Thoughts!!

School is almost out (8 more days) and summer is here (for us anyway). It is time to start thinking more seriously about my fitness goals and come up with a training plan to achieve them.

It is always harder for me in the summer. Things seem so much more relaxed than during the school year, it is always easy for me to fall into that, "vacation mode" with the children. This year I am training for Boston so the summer is more important to me than ever. I have an hour to shave (all right hack) off my best time, so I am going to have to step it up. Because of the heat here, summer training consists of many pre-dawn runs which, I guess is good as I am usually back, showered and ready to go at the same time I would have gotten up in the winter months.

I do not think the term, "Lazy Days of Summer" will apply this year.

I am working on my training plan........more to follow.

I have put together my fall marathon schedule , and it looks like my first race will be 11/29 the Space Coast Marathon (here in my home town). This will be my first attempt to qualify. I ran this as the half before and it was not my favorite race. I am going into it with an open mind and I am hoping that it will be the race for me.

After Space Coast, I am thinking of running Jacksonville on 12/20, then Disney on 1/10, Miami on 1/31, Tampa in February, then possibly Georgia in March.

I was hoping to get to the Marine Corp. in October, but I am having trouble with the logistics with my children (I still may pull it off, we will see). For now, I am content with running in nice flat Florida, and am hoping that one of those races will yield me a good BQ time.

I am looking forward to it!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like a busy summer!!! I try and keep my kids summer activities to a minimum, so we can just enjoying staying home and relaxing...but that never seems to work for me. :)

JenZen said...

I love nice flat races...being from Louisiana. Hills kill me! I wanna run Disney one year. I've heard it's a blast. Sounds like a GREAT race plan!!