Thursday, May 21, 2009

Top 10 Things

I was checking through my email this morning and saw a featured post from the Spark People site. One of the members, Zen_woman wrote the 10 things she learned on her Anniversary with Spark. I liked it, her points hit pretty close to home for me. I thought I would share Zen_woman's post. I also wrote a little list of my own titled top 10 things I have learned from distance running. You will see it below Zen_woman's list.

Post from Zen_woman on Spark People
10 Things I Have Learned On My One-Year Anniversary Today is my anniversary and I have learned the following during my one year on SparkPeople:
1. Losing weight is hard!

2. Being fat is harder!

3. I rather be fit and healthy than fat and unhappy.

4. Giving up is not a good option.
5. Set backs are inevitable.

6. Overcoming setbacks can make your stronger (if it doesn't kill you- just kidding.)

7. Stay in the game long enough and eventually you will hit a plateau.

8. Pushing harder doesn't always yield the best results.

9. Listen to your body and take a break when you need to.

10. Reach out to at least one person everyday on SparkPeople. (Friends or strangers, it doesn't matter.) It helps and keeps me accountable.


Ok, here goes my list:
Top 10 Things I have learned from Distance Running
  1. Shoes matter
  2. Pacing does matter
  3. Make sure your training runs all have viable bathroom stops along the way (you never know when you will need them).
  4. Core/upper body strength is very important to a runner (as I learned the hard way from my sore back and shoulders after my first marathon)
  5. Accept bad training days (I have had my share)
  6. There is always someone faster than you, go after them!
  7. Success and failure (all of the joy and pain associated with it) in running is entirely up to you!!
  8. Training pays off.
  9. Every step forward (be it run, skip or walk) puts you closer to your goal.
  10. Listen to your body, it is irreplaceable.

I would love to hear the things that others have learned from distance running. I am also working on a list of what I have learned from running marathons, anything to add on that would be great!!

Still storming today!! Enough all ready

2 comments:

JenZen said...

Awesome list! Love it. #3 made me laugh out loud. I'll have to get my list together and post it.

Chris said...

I like Zen Woman's second lesson - "Being fat is harder!" So true.

I've learned, as I've gotten a little older, joints sore and worn, that completion of the goal is just as fulfilling as the days of "competition". I don't feel the need to run as fast as I once did, or as hard or far... but I'm still running and moving because I love the fresh air and am thankful that my body allows me to.

Sorry you're still dealing with rain. Grrrr.