Monday, May 11, 2009

My Near Death Experience (Well maybe not so near death,but scary)!!

I have been running for a while now, over three years, and I thought I had pretty safe running habits, until this morning when I almost got hit by a car in the crosswalk. For other safety reasons, my entire running route (both short and long) is on sidewalks on the sides of fairly well traveled roads. I feel safer that way, as I never feel alone or isolated. I figure if I got into trouble, I could just wave a car down for help. The draw back of this logic is dealing with traffic at crosswalks. I follow traffic rules, and as painful as it is always wait for the crossing signal before I cross, that did not help me today!!

I was crossing a 4 lane intersection this morning outside my development when a car pulled up in the right lane to go right on red. Having a few close calls before this where the driver turning right is only looking left for oncoming traffic and does not even see you trying to cross, I decided I would be safe and cross behind the car. I did not want to miss the light so I stepped off the curb and ran behind the car. I guess I was not paying attention because as I stepped behind the car turning, another car came up pretty quick and had to slam on the breaks. I jumped, took a minute to collect myself and ran off, thinking about what could have happened the rest of my run.

I do not completely blame the driver. I think that he was going to fast, and would have had to slam on the breaks to avoid the car in front of him, but I was also careless and did not pay enough attention to the traffic. I know that next time, I will be safer and probably not go around the back of a car unless I am sure that there is no other traffic coming in either direction.

After my little scare I realized that I might need a refresher in running safety, I found these tips on syracusechargers.org, I was a little concerned to see how many of these tips I do not follow.

General
1 - DON'T WEAR HEADSETS. Use your ears to be aware of your surroundings. Using headphones, you lose the use of an important sense: your hearing.
2 - Always stay alert and aware of what's going on around you. The more aware you are, the less vulnerable you are.
3 - Carry a cell phone or change for a phone call. Know the locations of call boxes and telephones along your regular route.
4 - Trust your intuition about a person or an area. React on your intuition and avoid a person or situation if you're unsure. If something tells you a situation is not "right", it isn't.
5 - Alter or vary your running route pattern; run in familiar areas if possible. In unfamiliar areas, such as while traveling, contact a local RRCA club or running store. Know where open businesses or stores are located.
6 - Run with a partner. Run with a dog.
7 - Write down or leave word of the direction of your run. Tell friends and family of your favorite running routes.
8 - Avoid unpopulated areas, deserted streets, and overgrown trails. Especially avoid unlit areas, especially at night. Run clear of parked cars or bushes.
9 - Carry identification or write your name, phone number, and blood type on the inside sole of your running shoe. Include any medical information. Don't wear jewelry.
10 - Ignore verbal harassment. Use discretion in acknowledging strangers. Look directly at others and be observant, but keep your distance and keep moving.
11 - Run against traffic so you can observe approaching automobiles.
12 - Wear reflective material if you must run before dawn or after dark.
13 - Practice memorizing license tags or identifying characteristics of strangers.
14 - Carry a noisemaker and/or OC (pepper) spray. Get training in self-defense and the use of pepper spray.
15 - CALL POLICE IMMEDIATELY if something happens to you or someone else, or you notice anyone out of the ordinary. It is important to report incidents immediately.

I think they are great general tips and I am going to try to start following most of them (although I will always run with my IPOD, maybe I will turn it down lower) especially running with ID.
How many of these tips do you follow, which ones do you not follow? Does anyone have any other tips that might be handy?

2 comments:

ShutUpandRun said...

Great tips and a really good reminder. It is so easy to get really comfortable and forget to be alert.

Raffi said...

I run with my cell phone since I am a woman who almost always runs alone. I loop it to my finger with a Mobigrip (www.mobigrips.com). I do wear an MP3, but one headphone is broken, so I hear traffic out of one ear. Kind of silly, but it works for me. Check out this similar story: http://www.arunnersblog.com/my-running-career-nearly-ended-today/